Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 46-365 "Cafe au Lait and Beignets"

I know it's a typically touristy thing to go to the Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets, but you really must do it if you are ever in New Orleans. It's inexpensive - less than $4.00 for a plate of 3 large, hot, freshly-made beignets and a cafe au lait. The mountains of powdered sugar on top of them may be overkill, but it's part of the charm. Powdered sugar covers the tabletops, the floor, and even you. I defy you to remain clean of the white snow while trying to eat one! A word of caution: Don't wear black ;-).
Crowds are a given, but if you can snag a seat by the railing, you can people watch and enjoy the street performers.
Note: I got chosen for a special search of my carry-on at the airport and my camera was wiped down for explosives. Did the bits of sugar still clinging to it make me suspect ;-), LOL?

No comments: