Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 175-365 "Old Letters"

When my mother died, I found these old letters tied with a netted ribbon, unread for many years. They were the letters of an old boyfriend who had tragically died decades before in war.

A few years later, my mother met my father and fell in love again. Their's was a wonderful marriage; I never saw two people that loved each other so much.

My mother showed me the letters once. She said it was hard to throw away something that proved the existence of a young man whose life was cut short, but remains forever young.

I've never read the letters. Somehow it seems an invasion of privacy, but I suppose keeping them allows everyone to live on in some way.


Not unlike what happens to young women (and men) still today. Some tragedies never change.

No comments: